Call Toll-Free
+1 (888) 800-6731
Immigration & Citizenship law firm located
in Los Angeles, California
Call Toll-Free
Call or Text Us

Diversity Visa Lottery

  • The Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery program, run by the State Department, issues 50,000 green cards each year. The application period typically starts in October and ends during the first week of November. The application is free and must be completed online. Eligibility is based on country of birth (not country of citizenship).

  • The DV Lottery program participant must be eligible to receive a visa by qualifying based on education, work, and other requirements. The law and regulations require that every participant must have at least:

  • A “high school education or equivalent” is defined as successful completion of a twelve-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States or successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to a high school education in the United States.

  • Only formal courses of study meet this requirement. 

  • Correspondence programs or equivalency certificates (such as the General Equivalency Diploma G.E.D.) are not acceptable.
    or Two years of work experience within the past 5 years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience.

Non-Immigrant Visas (NIVs)

  • Foreign nationals who wish to come in the United States on a temporary basis must first apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Eligibility and requirements for the various U.S. visas vary depending on the visa category.

    Most nonimmigrant visas for temporary workers require a sponsoring U.S. employer (petitioner) and are generally employer-specific, which means that a foreign national can only work for the petitioning employer.

Professional Workers

  • E-1 Treaty Trader Employees & E-2 Treaty Investor Employees
  • E-3: Specialty Occupation for Australian Professionals
  • H-1B: Specialty Occupation for Professionals
  • H-1B1: Free-Trade Agreement Specialty Occupation for Chilean & Singaporean Professionals
  • I: Journalists
  • L-1A / L-1B: Intra-Company Transferees
  • TN: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Visas for Professionals from Canada & Mexico

Religious Workers

  • R-1: Religious Workers

Interns & Trainees

  • H-3: Trainees
  • J-1: Interns and Trainees

International Students

  • F-1: Academic Students
  • J-1: Exchange StudentsM-1: Vocational Students

Business Visitors & Tourists

  • B-1 / B-2: Visitors for Business or Pleasure
  • Visa Waiver Program